Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quilting................


I put my quilt top and the batting and the backing together yesterday and last night I began quilting it. I was a little apprehensive at first since I didn't want to mess it up and then have to tear out all the stitches, but once I got started I realized it is fun. Lots of fun. I am just doing a stitch that meanders back and forth and although it's not perfect (after all it is my first one) it looks pretty darned good. Once I finish it, I will post another picture of it. That is after I sew on the binding and it's done. I hope to finish the quilting portion this afternoon when I get home from church. I can see how people get the quilting bug. I find myself looking at fabric in fabric stores or quilt shops now and before they never really interested me. I am anxious to tell my friends at church that I started it. My friend Lori will be so happy for me. She has helped me when I bought my machine and also to pick out the fabric on this table topper. I hope you can see the quilting portion of the topper. I have only quilted around the floral outer edge so far.
Our weather has been crazy the last week. We went from having beautiful sunny spring days to cold, dark and pouring down rain. It felt like winter all over again. Native Oregonians say this is part of a ten year cycle. At least the native that I talked with last night. He said this weather would continue through June. Well, not much I can do about it. It sure is different than I have been used to for most of my life. Living in Southern California for the majority of my life I am used to sunshine most of the time and when it rains it only rains for maybe a day or two or a week at the most and then the sun is out again. But you can't beat the summers here. I temperatures are so much nicer. Usually in the mid 80s and SoCal of course is in the 90s and 100s a good part of the summer. We planted a new azalea bush with bright orange flowers. I am hoping it takes and the deer leave it alone. We were driving down our driveway the other day and 7 deer were crossing our yard two of them were obviously heavy with babies. Their bellies were just bulging. I love when the fawns are born each spring. The doe keeps them hidden for the first several weeks and then she will move them to a new location and that is when we usually see them for the first time. Lots of the time the doe will have twins and they are so darned cute to watch. She will be eating grass (or one of my plants) and they romp around and chase each other. It's adorable. One of my favorite things for sure.
Well, I need to get in the shower and get ready for church. Have a Blessed Day everyone!

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the quilt and it looks like you are doing a great job for your first try. Have a wonderful Sunday!

redpoppy007@aol.com said...

I love the quilt colors..you are doing great!
It sounds like a nice place to live where you are at..
I have always heard your state was beautiful.

Debi said...

Your quilt looks great! I always wanted to learn how to quilt, but settled for Crocheting instead. But I have a great sewing machine and maybe someday I will take up quilting too!

Debi: hawaiiboundbandster.blogspot.com

Dutch said...

I think the quilt looks beautiful. I can't wait to see any other quilt you do. We have deer around here but I don't see that many. I do see a lot of foxes and coyotes. I am always afraid that the coyote is going to get my little dog. I never let him out in front because we don't have a fence.
Have a wonderful week.

Debi said...

Kathy, thanks for Following me too!! I love your quilt, and someday I will attempt one as well.

I noticed that you are originally from Southern California. I am too!!

My husband and I will be passing through your area in late September on our way to Portland. Would you be interested in meeting up for a short visit?

We will be staying overnight in Medford, then stopping in Myrtle Creek for fuel and to stretch our legs, etc.

If you are interested, maybe we could have lunch or coffee together? I am hoping to meet up with several Lap Banders while on this trip. There are several there in Oregon.