Friday, August 19, 2011

Not very promising news..

Well, I saw the doctor on Tuesday for my latest fluoroscope test. This time he had me meet him in his office first and he attempted to show me the films from the last tests. I had only previously seen them from an angle as I was being filmed. He wasn't able to get them to play on his computer. So we headed down to the hospital for the test again. When I got in position he turned the television so I could clearly watch. When I drank the liquid I saw it flow down my esophagus and then it stopped at the band. He said, " it's still doing the same thing" You could see it barely trickling through the band and move on toward the stomach. I asked him if this is what it had been doing the past times. He said it had. Now, I am no medical person in any stretch of the imagination but, if the band is not filled, the liquid should go right on through. Unless there is some sort of obstruction. So what is going on? Then he said, "I am going to have to remove the band" I asked if there was any alternative measure and he said no. He said he would have his girls in the office contact me and set up an appointment for the surgery to remove it. I was stunned. I was on the verge of tears and couldn't talk without starting to cry so I just agreed and went home. Of course as soon as I got home and tried to tell my husband I started bawling like a baby. This band has been a part of my body for the last 3 1/2 years and my dream of losing weight was quickly coming to an end. My husband being much more calm and analytical said, "wait a minute, why is there no other options for you? Why can't he replace it with the larger band or something else?" My thoughts too but I was so upset I couldn't talk to the doctor. Also, I don't even know if my insurance would cover another surgery. But it should be looked into. So I calmed down and my husband said to tell them when they call that we want to talk to the doctor and we need some answers or we need a second opinion. Well, it just so happened that when they called to schedule the appointment for surgery, I wasn't home. My husband talked to the girl from the office and explained our feelings to her. She said she would talk to the doctor and call us back. So now I have an appointment with my husband going too, to speak with the doctor about what my options are and to find out what cause this to happen and whatever other questions we come up with. It's been difficult to keep this off my mind. My brother and sister-in-law got here the same day as my test so that is helping me a bit. And we have workers here replacing windows in our house and residing it so that is also a distraction. I am hoping this has a good outcome for me and not more dissapointment.

7 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Aww Kathy, come here and let me give you a big hug. So sorry to hear this. I hope your doctor can work with your insurance company to get you fixed back up. Maybe a new band or the sleeve like what Jacquie had done... I love mine but I have no comparison like she does. Regardless what you do, this is just a temporary setback, but distressing nonetheless I'm sure. xoxo

Sheila said...

Oh Kathy! I am so sorry! I am sending you a giant hug right now. I am happy that your husband is going to go with you...and right now, sit down, find a notebook and start writing down questions you have. It is unacceptable to just say "band out, DONE" you have lots of questions and deserve answers. Call your insurance, ask for what documentation they need to prove a band fail and call the drs. office and request every single piece of your records, even if you had multiple drs or multiple offices. Do not accept defeat yet. Start FIGHTING for what you want and need now!!!

Jen said...

I'm so sorry- I do know exactly what you are going through-I had to have my band removed in June. I am hoping that you have other options. I know how scary and overwhelming it is, so just hang in there as best you can and feel free to cry it out- I'm not much of a crier, but it has made me feel better over the past couple of months. Feel free to email me if you want to talk. big hugs to you!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm sorry that your news wasn't good but maybe there are other options. Don't loose heart yet. Glad you have those good distractions there to ease your distress.

Jody V said...

Don't lose hope yet Kathy! Friends of mine had their bands replaced when they had a slip. Sending positive Jersey vibes your way!! Keep us updated!

Jody

Anonymous said...

Aww Kathy- I am so sorry you got bad news. I will be thinking about you and hoping for some options that work for you.
I am so glad your husband is going with you. That should help if you start to feel overwhelmed.

Debi said...

Oh Kathy...I am so sorry to hear this. I know how much you were hoping things would work out differently.

Like the others, I wish that I could just give you a great big bear hug! You can use all the support you can get right now, and we are all here for you.

I especially agree with Sheila....start writing any question you can think of down now and bring them to your next appointment.

Also, I definitely agree that you should contact your Insurance Co. This could possibly be covered under a Band failure, or something like this, but if you don't ask and try, you will never know.

Perhaps you can discuss the Sleeve with your Dr, if he refuses to place a new Band...at any rate, I am so glad that your Husband is going with you.

This is exactly why my Husband almost always goes with me to my appointments. He is my eyes, ears and voice.