Friday, December 5, 2008

Kindness and Generosity





I think another way of sharing the joy of Christmas is by doing something nice or generous to someone you don't even know. These "random acts of kindness" tend to make us feel as though we've done a special favor for someone and we hope they are so inspired that they will "pay it forward" by doing something thoughtful for someone else. And so on and so forth. I wanted to elaborate a little on this idea so I went to my best internet friend, Google. I found a website called http://www.helpothers.org/ I found a wealth of things that you can do to feel better about yourself and make someone else feel better at the same time. For instance, what can you do with five bucks to make someone's day? Tape the exact change for a soda to a vending machine or a payphone. Pay the toll for the person behind you. Leave flowers in front of someone's house. Bake cookies for your neighbors. Put quarters in the laundry machine for the next person. Send cards with beautiful messages to anonymous people. Leave chocolate on the desk of your co-workers. Treat someone to a cup of their favorite coffee. These are just a few inexpensive ways to feel better about yourself. The link has many more. Here is one more, Reach out to the homebound -- seniors, ill or incapacitate children or caregivers committed to caring for their family members at home. Connect them to communication resources like radio, TV or Internet so they can stay connected to the world at large. Find a good-news story in the media and email them regularly. Tag them with an inspiring book. Offer to bring them books from the library. Share 'smile stories' you've read in this newsletter. Help them take care of their pets. Convince a beautician or barber to make a house-call. Buy them nice stationary so they write appreciative notes to those they are grateful for. Maybe one way to avoid being blue this Christmas is by donating some of your own kindness and generosity. It couldn't hurt and just maybe it will help. Bless you all and to all a good night............

5 comments:

Dutch said...

I just love all those ideas. I am going to check out the website now. Thanks. Have a wonderful weekend.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It always helps us when we help others. there is great joy in knowing you shared a kindness.
That is a very good thought you have.

Kelli said...

What a wonderful post full of great ideas to help and surprise others!
~Kelli

Jody V said...

What wonderful ideas Kathy! Thanks!

Judi said...

You are so right! Wonderful ideas! That might be just the ticket to shaking the blues right out of me. As a matter of fact...Kathy...do you mind if I share that website on my blog? I'd like to "piggyback" on your idea and turn it into something to challenge my blog readers to do one nice thing a day until Christmas. What do you think?
Let me know!
Thanks so much for INSPIRING ME (see Jody....I'm inspired!)
Judi